Thursday, January 19, 2012

Conversational Hearts [diy craft]

What do you do when there's a snow storm? 
Well you skype one of your best friends and make crafts.
What else is there to do?

This is how it turned out...
Photo credits go to Teresa over at Twisted Wire
(She wrote in hers, I didn't)


(my dog also really like mine, she kept growling at the others 
to get away when they were in front of her... Silly dog)

First gather your 
Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Flour
  • 1 Cup Salt
  • 1 Cup Water
  • Food Coloring (as many colors as you would like)
  • Cookie Cutter (heart shaped)

Directions:
Mix flour, salt and water together.
 In hopes that it will be like a sugar cookie dough just not as tasty.
Separate dough into balls (I did four)
Mix in food coloring to each ball
Dust cutting board with flour (this is a must)
Dust top of dough ball with flour (this is a must to)
Roll out... Thickness is your choice.
Cut with cookie cutter and place on cookie sheet :)




Photo Credits go to Teresa at Twisted Wire

Tips and tricks:
 Because I did this with a friend we made about a total of three batches. 
With each one we learned something new. For instance...
She added the food coloring to the water for one of her batches.
I just dived the dough and added it straight to my separate balls of dough.
Then we both had the problem of them puffy up durning baking...
So we soon found out that you can apply pressure to them before you put them in the oven that helps prevent the puffiness. For example, if you take your already made (not baked) hearts that are on the cookie sheet and apply wax paper with another flat surface of some sort that should do the trick :)
Oven time and temp:
Then you bake them at 250 degrees for about an 1 1/2 
Which really will depend on oven and thickness of your hearts. 
The hearts can also be poked with a straw to create a hole for ribbon if you choose to hang them.
They do make really cute hanging decorations as well.

Finishing touches:
Use a red marker of some sorts to write on them
or feel free use what ever color/colors you choose.
String with ribbon if you put holes in yours...
Then volia your done.
Easy as 1..2...3...

Side Notes:

I'm thinking about making large ones to hang on the back of my bar stools.
Teresa also thought it would be really cute to make them for her kids classroom so they can all decorate them. Or even make them as Valentines to give away in the classroom. They are so very easy to personalize :)












Sorry for the bad lighting. I didn't edit them and 
I took them at night in my kitchen which has really bad lighting.


Until Tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. Had so much fun skyping with you friend. I will remember our day whenever I pull my hearts out in February! I decorated some with nail polish to give as gifts. I think they turned out cute. I will post pics. The little stars I made looked so cute. I painted them and sealed them with clear nail polish and made them into necklaces. I am doing another batch next weekend to make more star necklaces. This time, without food coloring. Kassi is wearing her necklace to school tomorrow! Love you!

    ReplyDelete